Admission Adults $10, children $9
Pets Service animals only
Address 329 Abercorn Street
Full visitor info below
The Andrew Low House is one of Savannah’s several restored historic house museums, and is notable on two counts. Firstly, for its association with one of Savannah’s most successful businessmen, Andrew Low, who built the house for his family in 1848. Its second point of significance is as the residence place of one of the city’s most widely known and influential women, Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts of the USA.
Born in Scotland, Andrew Low came to Savannah in the 1820s, then only in his teens. He later inherited his uncle’s cotton factorage firm, Andrew Low and Company (both uncle and nephew were named Andrew).
Low’s son, William Mackay Low, married Juliette Magill Gordon, the daughter of a prominent Savannah family, in 1886. The Lows occasionally occupied the house over the next two decades of their marriage, though they more often lived overseas, including extended periods in William’s father’s native Britain.
Although the Lows later divorced, Gordon Low inherited the house upon William’s death. She used it as her primary residence and in her various activities, the most notable and long-lasting of which was the founding of the Girl Scouts of the USA in 1912. She remained in the house until her own death in 1927.
The adjacent carriage house was the Girl Scouts’ first meeting place. It is now operated by that institution, and together with the Andrew Low House and the Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace, the latter several blocks north on Oglethorpe Avenue at Bull Street, has been designated the Juliette Gordon Low Historic District.
The Andrew Low House itself was sold to the Colonial Dames of Georgia, who used it as their headquarters before transforming the home into a museum.
Guided tours The Andrew Low House can be seen by guided tours, which depart at 30 minute intervals (on the hour and half hour) every day. Tours discuss the history of the house and the Lows, showing how a wealthy family in Savannah would have lived in the 19th century.
First floor rooms include the family’s formal and informal parlors, the library and dining room. Upstairs are a children’s playroom and a rare-for-the-period indoor bathroom, and bedrooms, two of which were once occupied by notable guests of the family: General Robert E Lee, who stayed in the house in 1870 on the occasion of a reception given in his honor, and the British novelist William Makepeace Thackeray, a guest in 1853 and 1856.
Allow about an hour for your visit (around 40 minutes for the tour plus time to view the gardens). During the busier times of the year, there may sometimes be a wait for available tour slots.
Gardens The Andrew Low House has one of the few surviving original gardens created in 19th-century Savannah, and the only one open to the public. The design of the parterre gardens dates from the mid century, shortly after the completion of the house. Their layout and planting plans have been preserved ever since, first by the Low family and later by the Colonial Dames, the current owners of the house.
Architecture The Andrew Low House was built in 1848-1849, the architect believed to be John S Norris. The house, which occupies the entire southwest trust lot fronting on Lafayette Square, is designed in the Greek Revival style, with a mixture of Revival and Italianate details.
The following is correct at the time of writing. Please verify details before planning your trip. For additional information call 912-233-6854 or visit the official website.
Opening hours Open daily. Guided tours every half hour. Monday-Saturday: first tour 10am, last tour 4pm. Sunday: first tour 12pm, last tour 4pm.
The Andrew Low House is closed for the first two weeks in January and on major holidays.
Admission Adults $10, seniors/children/students $9, active military free. $1 discount for Girl Scouts and AAA members.
Pets Service animals only. Dogs and other pets are not allowed at the Andrew Low House.
Address 329 Abercorn Street, Savannah, GA 31401
GPS coordinates N 32.072887, W -081.092495
The Andrew Low House is located near the center of the Historic District, immediately west of Lafayette Square and just a few blocks south of Colonial Park Cemetery. See on map
Parking Free parking is available in the Low House’s lot, across the street at the corner of Charlton and Drayton Streets.
Public transport Savannah’s fare-free dot express shuttle stops right outside the Andrew Low House, on the western side of Lafayette Square. More about the free shuttle service and other public transportation services in Savannah
The house can also be reached by paid public transit, with two Chatham Area Transit routes (11 and 14) stopping at Lafayette Square. Get public transport directions