Warren Square is one of several of Savannah’s smaller, quieter, residential squares on its eastern side, less densely settled and less visited too. It was laid out in 1791.
The neighborhood around Warren Square, so near to the Savannah River and its oceangoing trade, was historically populated by visiting seafarers, besides its permanent, predominantly Irish, population.
The square is located in the north-east of the downtown Historic District, at the intersection of Habersham and East St Julian Streets. Warren Ward is bounded by Bay, Lincoln, Price and Broughton Streets. See on map
This neighborhood is one of those which has benefited most from the work of the Historic Savannah Foundation and the city’s other preservationists. Many properties around the square – more modest, often frame constructions in contrast to the mansions seen in other portions of the Historic District – have been restored, and several of the city’s oldest structures, threatened with demolition in their original locations, have been moved to the surrounding streets.
East of Warren Square is Washington Square, of similar architectural character. Many of the area’s relocated houses are now along East St Julian Street, which connects the two.
North is Emmet Park (and behind it the river) and west is Reynolds Square, moving back into the more commercial parts of the city. To the south is Columbia Square and the early-19th-century Davenport House museum.
Some of the oldest houses in the Historic District are in the area around Warren and adjacent Washington Squares. The Historic Savannah Foundation has done a great deal of work, beginning in the 1960s, to restore the district and its houses, several of which have been moved from their original locations elsewhere in the city, when they were threatened with destruction.
The Eppinger House, the large frame house to the northeast of Warren Square (at the intersection of Habersham and East Bryan Streets), was moved from West Perry Street, where it was built in the early 1820s for the Eppinger family.
Two older frame houses to the east of the square both date from the late 18th century, constructed shortly after Warren Square was laid out.
The northernmost of the pair, at 22 Habersham Street, known as the Spencer Woodbridge House, was built for George Basil Spencer around the 1790s. The house was saved by the Historic Savannah Foundation.
Next door at 24 Habersham Street is the Mongin-Carswell House, built for John David Mongin in 1797. The building was originally located a little further around the square on a lot to its southwest. During Savannah’s 1876 yellow fever epidemic, this residence served as a hospital; it has also been used by the Christ Church as its rectory.
Mostly-residential Warren Square and Ward have only a handful of nearby places to eat. Both the Funky Brunch Café (304 East Broughton Street) b Matthew’s Eatery (325 East Bay Street) serve breakfast and lunch, with the latter, an American-style bistro, also open for evening dining.
More choice of places to eat and drink is available west of Warren Square, around Reynolds Square and along Broughton Street; or go north onto River Street.
There are several options for where to park near Warren Square. Being closer to downtown, on-street (metered) parking can sometimes be difficult to come by unless you go further east.
Privately-operated parking (city passes not valid) is available in the garage to the immediate west of the square and the lot south of that; the nearest city-owned garage is the Bryan Street Parking Garage (entrance at Drayton Street north of Bryan), three blocks west of Warren Square.
The nearest stop on Savannah’s free shuttle is on the north side of Reynolds Square, two blocks west of Warren. Alternatively, get off at the East Broad Street stop (outside The Pirates’ House, 3-4 blocks away) and walk along East St Julian Street, where many of the neighborhood’s oldest historic homes are located.
Paid city bus services to within a few blocks of Warren Square/Ward are also available. Get public transport directions