Open Thursday-Saturday. Adult admission $4.50.
See below: full visitor information
Fort Morris is a historic 18th-century earthwork fortification that saw action in the Revolutionary War and in the War of 1812. It is one of the last remaining Revolutionary War era earthwork forts in the United States.
The fortification now known as Fort Morris was constructed in the 1770s, at a site formerly occupied by two previous forts. Colonist Mark Carr built the first in 1741 to defend his new plantation. The second was constructed in 1756 and expanded in 1758 to protect locals and the new port settlement of Sunbury against Creek Indian and other attacks.
In the 1770s the threat of war prompted the Continental Congress to authorize the construction of two forts – one at Savannah (Fort Jackson), the other at Sunbury – to defend the colony’s principal ports.
Fort Morris’s earth banks enclosed a rough square of around an acre in size, located to Sunbury’s southeast. The new fort was first used as a base from which to launch three attacks (ultimately unfruitful) upon Florida. It was later used to defend Sunbury and the river from incursions by the British.
The fort fell to the British during the Revolutionary War. Marching southwards in November 1778, after their capture of Savannah, British forces demanded Fort Morris’s surrender (the American reply, famously, was that they should “Come and take it.”)
American soldiers held the fort until the following January, by which point it was the sole remaining Patriot stronghold in Georgia. The British renamed the captured fort Fort George; they retained control of the area until 1782, only briefly losing possession of the fort in September 1779 after their troops were moved back northwards to defend Savannah.
After the war, the fort was abandoned and fell into a state of disrepair. With the renewed outbreak of war in 1812, Fort Morris again became an important strategic point in the defense of Georgia against the British, with a new fort – Fort Defiance – incompletely constructed on the site of the old in 1814.
Earthwork fort The remnants of the earthwork Fort Morris and its predecessors provide the focus of the 67-acre historic site. Special programs and walking tours allow further insight into the fort and its history.
Visitor Center & exhibits A film and museum outline aspects of the history of Fort Morris and the surrounding area. There is also a gift shop.
Special events Several special events recreating colonial-era military life at Fort Morris are held each year, including on Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. The standard park admission fee applies for most events, though some are sponsored and free to attend.
Activities vary according to the event, but can include soldier talks, musket and cannon demonstrations, and colonial-era demonstrations, music and games. See the official website for details of upcoming events.
Nature trail A 1-mile nature trail offers views of the forest and surrounding salt marshes, plus the Medway River and St Catherines Sound.
Wildlife-watching Fort Morris is also a good place for birdwatching, one of the sites on Georgia’s Colonial Coast Birding Trail. The area is home to many of Georgia’s native songbirds and wading birds, many of them there at all times of the year. Woodpeckers, painted buntings, the yellow-throated warbler and marsh wren can all be seen, along with larger species such as the great egret and wood stork.
The following is correct at the time of writing. Please verify details before planning your trip. For additional information, call 912-884-5999 or visit the official website.
Opening hours Open Thursday-Saturday, 9am-5pm. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Admission Adults $4.50, seniors (62+) $4, children (6-17) $3, young children (0-5) free.
Camping Pioneer camping, for groups only, is available at Fort Morris.
Address 2559 Fort Morris Road, Midway, GA 31320
GPS coordinates N 31.767894, W -081.281233
Fort Morris Historic Site is in Liberty County, Georgia, located on a bend in the Medway River near St Catherines Sound, around a third of the way down the state’s coast. The 40-mile drive from Savannah will take around 45-50 minutes. View on map